Saturday, June 4, 2011

Harvest Week


     This past week has been a lot of fun. Memorial Day evening I cooked fried chicken and grilled corn for every one.  Aimee and Barb made mashed potatoes and gravy which made for a delicious meal!  The rest of the week we both helped Aimee's family get ready for harvest.  I helped Mike most of the week preparing the combines for cutting wheat.  Changing oil filters, belts, and other misc. parts and pieces.    I have learned a lot about combines, harvest, and just farming in general.  It has been very educational and fun along the way.  Aimee has had a wonderful time spending some one on one time with her mom.  Which I know she appreciates and loves.
     Thursday night we went out to Salt Plains and had 50 cent tacos and 75 cent enchiladas.  They were very good, especially with 5 pitchers of beer and some billiards.  Want a great night with great friends.  We went out there last time we were out here, so we had to go again.  It was good, cheap fun!
     Also almost every day we see deer, dove, and pheasant.  I love seeing wildlife just roaming the plains.  It gives me the hunting fever!  It is nice to be out here in the country,  no traffic, no noises, no airplanes, and the brightest stars at night.  You don't get that in the city.
     Friday we started cutting wheat.  The yields are a little under average this year.  Not as much moisture as they were anticipating.  I hope everyone will make a few bucks.  While Aimee was driving a wheat truck back and forth from the field to the co-op, I helped wire a ceiling fan for some close family friends.  I was glad to lend a helping hand, especially when they pay me in beer :)!  It has definitely been a good start to harvest.
     Today Aimee and I decided to take a break and go to Enid.  We visited the newest member of the Zollinger Family.  Ivan was born yesterday and weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz.  A beautiful and healthy baby boy.  Congradulations to Brad and Amanda!  Amanda is Aimee's cousin.  We then went and had lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings.  I love me some hot wings and draft beer.  Great pit stop!  We then went to the movie theater and watched Hangover 2.  Not as good as the first, but still very funny.  I stopped by and got a haircut and now are hanging with Jonni and Eric.  What a great day being with my wife!
     This week has gone fast, but has been very enjoyable.  I can't wait to see what's in store for us next week!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment